Sunday, February 3, 2013

The Downfall of a Good Girl by Kimberly Lang - Review


The Downfall of a Good Girl

Title: The Downfall of a Good Girl
Author: Kimberly Lang
Publisher: Harlequin, Kiss
Publishing Date: Jan. 22, 2013

Book Blurb:
Southern debutante Vivienne LaBlanc can't believe bad-boy rock star Connor Mansfield is back in town for the New Orleans annual Saints and Sinners pageant. He has a reputation as wicked as his devilish smile, and Vivi has no intention of becoming one of his latest groupies! He once crushed her high school heart, so playing the saint to Connor's sinner should be easy. But how can Vivi get those less-than-angelic thoughts out of her head-especially when Connor's so good at tempting her to be bad?

Review:
As a native Louisianan, I loved, loved, loved that this story took place in New Orleans. The whole Saints and Sinners Mardi Gras theme throughout the book was so enjoyable and believable. Not only that, but the heroine, Vivi, reminded me of many Southern belles I grew up with. All the committees, the pageants, the "bless your heart" attitude rubbed off on me the right way! 

But we are here about the story and I loved it. To be honest, it was a slow start. It felt repetitive at times in the entire first chapter. Yes, we got that Vivi and Connor hated each other. Yes, we got that there was a past between them (albeit a teenage one). Yes, we got that Connor is a rock star. Once we moved into the  dialogue and action, the story took off. I'm glad I stuck it out, because it was just what I like. The enemies to lovers trope is always a favorite. The reader gets lots of tension and animosity that fuels that desire so much that they end up jumping each other in an unexpected way. The butterflies erupted when they finally did meet lip to lip...hip to hip...ahem to ahem. The sensuality in this book was behind closed doors, but enough to get your heart pumping and your mind imagining what they did. I usually like all the details, but I was satisfied. As for Connor, he was a hero that any woman would fall in love with. A famous rock/jazz star ( I think fashioned after Harry Connick Jr.) and a sensitive one at that. Sure, he has a rockstar "brand" to uphold, but he has a gentle heart. 

All in all, I give The Downfall of a Good Girl 4 winks.





No comments:

Post a Comment